Welcome, writers! If you’re interested in freelance writing, writing novels, nonfiction books, content marketing writing, ghostwriting, or–well, you get the idea–you’re in the right place.
Whether you’re just starting out as a writer, or an established pro, here you’ll find articles and free resources to suit your every need.
(We’re adding new articles every week. Subscribe to the newsletter to be notified of new posts and resources.)
Go directly to section:
Freelancing and Journalism
Everything you need to know about getting started as a freelance writer and journalist.
- Freelance Writing: A Three-Year Plan for Growth
- How I Sold 100 Articles During My First Year of Freelancing
- How to Choose the Best Writing Clips for Your Portfolio Website
- 42 Lessons for a Successful Writing Career
- 6 Mistakes That Cost You Money and Assignments
- 5 Things You Must Unlearn to Succeed as a Freelancer
- What Hiring Freelancers Has Taught Me About Freelancing
- No Clips? No Problem: How to Get Freelancing Work When You Have No Experience
- Bye Bye Bollywood: How to Use a Specialty to Launch a Successful Freelancing Career
- How to Turn Your Biggest Disadvantage into Your Biggest Strength
Pitching and Marketing
Learn the tips and tricks that have helped writers break into The New York Times, TIME, CNN, Elle, Marie Claire, and more.
- 5 Questions to Ask About Every Article Idea That Will Help it Sell
- Stop Obsessing and Send That Query NOW
- Why Your Story Ideas are Key to Getting Freelance Assignments
- The 9 Types of Query Letters (and When to Use Them)
- What Gets Your Queries Assigned? A Top Editor Tells All
- The 6 Essential Traits of Query Letters That Work
- The Nuts and Bolts of Turning a Story Idea Into a Pitch
- Why Sending Pitches is Important and How Not to Give Up
- 5 Reasons Your Pitches Bring Home Rejections
- How to Write and Send 25 Queries a Week
- 30 Tips From 30 Days of Querying
- How to Break Into Your Dream Publication – This Year
- The Real Reason You Haven’t Cracked the Nationals Yet
- Aim High or Low? When it Comes to Pitching, Here’s What to Do
- 7 Reasons Editors Are Not Responding to Your Pitches
- I Doubled My Response Rate With This Simple Pitching Technique
- Psychological Barriers and Easy Wins: AKA How to Get Over Yourself and Get Work Done
- 4 Easy Fixes When Your Ideas Don’t Sell
- Find New Clients: 21 Small Things You Can Do Today
- What Local Journalists Can Learn From Foreign Correspondents
Content Marketing Writing
Learn how to find high-paying content marketing clients, network effectively and always be in work.
- The Beginner’s Guide to Content Marketing
- From Journalism to Content Marketing in 7 Simple Steps
- How Much Does Content Marketing Writing Pay?
- How to Find Your Content Marketing Niche as a Freelancer
- Ethical Issues to Consider as a Content Marketing Writer (and How to Avoid Them)
- 7 Mistakes Writers Make When Applying for Content Marketing Gigs
- 6 Website Tweaks That Will Ensure Your Content Marketing Success
- How to Get Hired When You Apply For Content Marketing Work
- 7 Types of Content You’ll Write as a Content Marketing Writer
- Content Marketing Myths That are Hurting Your Writing Income
- Your Content Marketing Elevator Pitch
- How to Write a Letter of Introduction for Landing Content Marketing Clients
- The Types of Content Marketing Clients (and How to Pitch Them)
Doing the Work
Expert tips on finding story ideas, interviewing sources, writing great copy and making editors happy.
- 14 Quick and Easy Strategies That Will Help You Find The Perfect Source, Every Time
- How to Write Personal Essays (and Still Have a Family Left to Write About)
- 4 Things You Must Do After You’ve Finished an Assignment
- Why Editors Love Certain Writers (And How to Become One)
- Waiting for a Response to Your Pitches? 8 Things You Should Do
Running the Business
Get efficient and automated systems for marketing, accounting, and administrative tasks, so you can focus on the writing.
- 5 Questions You Need to Ask Before Taking on Any Writing Project
- The Only Thing That’s Stopping You From Freelance Writing Success
- The Six Numbers No Freelance Writer Can Afford to Ignore
- How to Recession-Proof Your Writing Business
- Lessons From My Toughest Year in the Freelancing Business
- Is Syndication Still a Good Business Model for Freelancers?
- Writer Beware: Why to Never Sell All Rights to Your Work
- In a Freelance Writing Crisis? Here’s How to Deal With It
- 3 Ways That Low-Paying Assignment Could Be A Good Deal
- Why Good Writers Cling to Lousy Clients
Earning More Money
Discover how to increase your hourly rate by working less and earning more.
- The Ultimate Guide to Setting and Meeting Income Goals as a Freelancer
- Why You’re Not Making the Freelancing Income You Want
- 10 Ways to Make More Money as a Freelance Writer
- The Only Two Things You Need to Know About Negotiating Better Rates
- The Ultimate Guide to Recurring Income for Freelancers
- 24 Financial Mistakes That Will Cost You Big as a Freelancer
- Can You Make Full-Time Writing Income on Part-Time Hours?
Books and Publishing
Finish the Damn Book
Leave behind the writerly myths and struggles and discover how writing fast can actually mean writing better.
- 11 Conventional Rules of Writing Worth Questioning
- 100 Creative Writing Prompts to Inspire Your Writing
- How to Write a Book: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Writing Sprints: Use This Strategy to Write Thousands of Words a Day
- How to Write a First Draft: 10 Tips for Reaching “The End”
- How to Outline a Novel in 6 Steps
- How to Write Faster: 19 Effective Strategies to Increase Your Writing Speed
- 3 Game-Changing Strategies For Finishing Your Book
- How to Write a Novel in a Month: A 30-Day Plan for Success
- What is NaNoWriMo? How to Win the National Novel Writing Month in 2023
- What I Learned From Writing 10k Words in a Single Day
Build a Better Platform
Tips, tricks, and strategies for growing your audience and readership.
(more coming soon)
Self Publishing Roadmap
Everything you need to know about not just publishing one book, but creating an indie empire.
(more coming soon)
Traditional Publishing Roadmap
Learn what goes into writing effective query letters, landing top agents, and getting book deals.
Sell More Books
Expert advice on marketing and selling your books on autopilot to grow your readership, make more money, and create a sustainable business.
Growth and Mindset
Mindset and Belief
It all begins with mindset. Learn how to leverage the best resource you have at your disposal to create exponential results–and fast!
- How to Believe in Yourself as a Writer
- How to Overcome Writer’s Block: 9 Proven Ways That Will Get You Writing Again
(more coming soon)
Productivity and Goal Setting
Tips for productivity. Lessons in work-life balance. Ways to find extra hours in the workweek.
- 61 Ways To Be Productive When You Work From Home
- The Seven Habits of Highly Productive Writers
- 8 Ways Tracking Your Time Can Make You More Productive and Help Grow Your Business
- The Writer’s Work Ethic: How to Create It, Maintain It, and Sustain It
- Find Work-Life Balance as a Writing Parent
- The Productivity Tip That Will Defeat Your To-Do List
- Do You Have an Unreasonable To-Do List? Here’s How to Fix It
- How to Handle Sick Days When You’re Self-Employed
- Moving, When Your Office is Also Your Home
- Why Creative People Need to be More Organized (and How to Get There)
- Why It’s Important to Have Time to Think (and How to Find it!)
- Are Your Goals Too Ambitious? Here’s Why You Should Let Them Go
- Here’s Why You’re Not Achieving Your Writing Goals
- How Freelancers Can Find More Freedom in Their Work
- Lessons Learned From Teaching the 30 Days, 30 Queries Course
- How I Found Five Additional Hours in My Work Week
- What To Do When You Feel Like You’re Losing Your Shit
- How to Keep Writing When Life Gets in the Way
Maximizing Your Potential
Become a six-figure earner by building your own audience, creating a brand and selling yourself.
- I Retired My Husband. Here’s What I Learned.
- Passive Income for Writers
- Creative Goals, How I Did, and What’s Next
- My Business and Income Goals for 2017-18
- The Artist’s Guide to Selling
- Grandma was Wrong. These Counterintuitive Money Strategies for Freelancers Actually Work
- Lessons from an Exhilarating London Book Fair
- Is it Time for a Career Change?
- How to Reinvent Your Writing Career
- How to Stay at the Top of your Game
- What I Learned From Writing 1,000+ Stories for Over 300 Publications
Thanks for reading! More articles are being added weekly. To be notified of new articles, make sure to subscribe to the newsletter!
Sign up for The Wordling
Writing trends, advice, and industry news. Delivered with a cheeky twist to your Inbox weekly, for free.